Whoops. Looks like my big plans to be cooking all summer for my family and friends while visiting the States for 7 weeks has been completely squashed by large delicious seafood dinners on the water, meals with old friends and long days shopping for baby, that leave me way too tired to start cooking dinner.
I promise I haven’t deliberately neglected the blog or forgotten about my favorite food blogs out there. I have no excuse other than I would just rather dig into some really awesome Mexican food, visit my favorite sushi spot, grab a quick bite at the diner I grew up going to or sit with a large platter of fresh grilled lobster, crab legs, shrimp and mussels starring me in the face, then anything else really. Monday nights at the local seafood joint is all you can eat crab legs. Yep, if you can’t find me, now you know where I’m hiding out. Hey, I live in the desert. In Israel. I haven’t had lobster or crab legs in 2 years and I have been making up for it. Big time.
As much as I’m enjoying all the tastes of New York that I have been away from, I’m slowing down and missing the feeling of a good home cooked meal and luckily, I haven’t missed grill season completely. I have been having many, many lunches comprised of burgers and cheese fries. What? Baby needs the iron and um, cheese fries, what can say? Black bean turkey burgers are a healthy and delicious alternative to all those traditional hamburgers we scarf down in these hot summer months.
These burgers are a change from your usual BBQ staple. Made with ground turkey and black beans with kick from chipotles in adobe and sweetness from one of summers favorite fruits, mango, these burgers are sure to be a huge hit at your next backyard get together. I topped them off with a creamy avocado spread, crunchy cabbage and some sliced mango. Serve with crispy sweet potato fries and you have a new end of summer favorite.
|Turkey Black Bean Burgers with Guacamole Cream||
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chili in adobe
- 1 mango, divided
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1lb ground turkey
- 3/4 cup shredder sharp cheddar
- juice 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 sour cream
- juice 1/2 lime
- 1/2 chili in adobe
- Shredded cabbage for serving
- Hamburger buns
- In a food processor combine 1/4 of the black beans, onion, garlic and chili in adobe and process until smooth.
- Add remaining black beans, 1/2 mango and cilantro and pulse until just combined. (Leave some black beans whole or in chunks)
- Transfer black bean mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the ground turkey, cheese, juice of 1/2 lime and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix together throughly until well combined and divide mixture into 6 burger patties.
- To make guacamole cream, combine avocado, sour cream, juice of 1/2 lime and 1/2 chili in adobe in a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Keep chilled.
- Heat a well oiled grill and grill burger patties for 7-10 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns topped with guacamole cream, shredded cabbage and sliced mango.